Once you’ve performed on a riverbank in the dark, man, a theatre space seems easy…” Scott Wings
Anywhere Festival is now accepting EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST until 4 December for performances anywhere in Parramatta City Council for 2015 Anywhere Festival Parramatta, running 8 – 17 May 2015 and proudly hosted by Parramatta City Council.
ENTER YOUR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST RIGHT HERE!
The festival has been running in Australia for four years and in 2012 was listed by QANTAS Travel Insider as one of the “Top Nine International Festivals You Must See!”
Performers and producers can express interest through a free and quick online form by 4 December 2014. If you’ve got a busy day ahead and don’t have time to read this full article, this is WHY YOU AS A PERFORMER OR GROUP SHOULD GET INVOLVED.
- Expressions of Interest are free and will take you two minutes (oh, here’s the link again)
- We work with you to find a rent free performance space anywhere but a theatre, eliminating what is arguably the biggest cost for independent producers.
- We program you in the festival to maximise attendance – not so we can say how many shows we’ve got. The festival can be unfolded and everything seen in one go. No gazzumping from big names paying for additional advertising.
- Did we mention that in Anywhere Brisbane the average attendance of total capacity is 77% and in Anywhere Frankston it was 82%.
- We run a reviewer and photographer scheme to ensure almost all shows get at least a review and photographs – often both and sometime many.
- We are here for you. We want you and your audiences to have the best experience ever and that you have the best chance possibility of paying the creators of the work (that’s you) instead of everyone else first.
- That Expression of Interest link again…
Performances can be anywhere but a theatre and any style – circus, cabaret, drama, comedy, poetry, music and performance art. If there’s a name for it and it involves performance anywhere but a theatre, it can be part of 2015 Anywhere Festival.
“We believe there is a better way for performers and producers than waiting for rare slots in theatres and losing life savings producing in overwhelming fringe festivals where there are more performances than audiences members and the entire budget goes on venue hire and paying for everything but the creation of the work,” said Paul Osuch of Anywhere Festival.
Anywhere Festival will be a fully curated fringe festival featuring a mix of local and visiting shows in places you wouldn’t expect.
“By curating and capping the number of productions we’ll be able to provide the support and guidance to every single producer to develop world leading incredible work and finding an audience instead of being lost in an overwhelming festival,” said Paul.
We are looking for productions that “bring joy to the nooks and crannies of Parramatta CIty Council” by thinking outside the box.
“It’s about using existing spaces and focusing on the creation of performance instead all the superfluous and costly extras required by traditional theatres,’ said Paul.
“We want creatives to be at the top of the financial chain where they belong instead of having to accept the crumbs after everything and everyone else has been paid for.”
The freedom it provides performers is immense. Performer Scott Wings is currently receiving five star reviews and sell out audiences with his Edinburgh Fringe show Icarus Falling. Scott has been part of the last two Anywhere Theatre Festivals in Brisbane, presenting work under the Storey Bridge and on a rooftop next to the Brisbane River. For Scott, Anywhere was vital to the development of his work and talents as an artist.
“Anywhere Theatre Festival gives me the opportunity to explore my work in a high quality, supportive and extremely creative environment that is unique to performance art in Australia,” said Scott.
“You can perform on the river. Or a mountain. In a shed. A car park. Do you realise how great it is to remove those comfort zones of stage and lighting? The traditional audience/entertainer relationships? It hones your work. Once you’ve performed on a riverbank in the dark, man, a theatre space seems easy…”
Performers can sign up to find out more at www.anywherefest.com and express interest in being part of the festival directly at www.anywherefest.com/eoi. For further details, contact Paul Osuch on 02 8003 4723.