We believe there is a better way for performers and producers than waiting for rare slots in theatres and losing life savings presenting in fringe festivals where there are more performances than audiences members and the entire budget goes on venue hire and paying for everything but the creation of the work.
We are looking for performances anywhere but a theatre in any style – circus, cabaret, dance, drama, comedy, improv, music, opera, poetry, performance art, story telling.
If there’s a name for it and it involves performance anywhere but a theatre, it can be part of the Anywhere Theatre Festival.
To read the full media release on the announcement, head here.
Want to find out more about Anywhere Theatre Festival? Check out these videos
Anywhere proposed dates in 2015 are:
- Mackay-Isaac 13-22 March
- Parramatta 8-17 May
- Brisbane 7-24 May
- Frankston 21 August – 6 September
Expression of Interest (EOI) are free for all festivals and CLOSE 4th December annually.
Your involvement will be confirmed after we have an initial conversation with you, about your company and your goals.
You must provide your own public liability insurance and be ready to show your Certificate of Currency upon confirmation of your involvement in the festival.
Selection Criteria for Expressions of Interest
Expressions of Interest will be selected on the following criteria:
- Show concept. What is your show idea? Is it yet to be developed or already performance ready?
- Use of space. We are very interested in productions that are making good use of a non traditional space and are not interested in productions that convert a space into a traditional theatre or use a traditional theatre
- Performance locations. We are looking for performances that will take place within the boundaries of each Council area, i.e. Brisbane, Mackay/Isaac, Parramatta and Frankston.
- Performance style. We will be selecting EOIs to provide a good mix of all performance styles from cabaret, burlesque, drama, comedy, impro, dance, poetry, circus, multiarts. Any performance style is considered.
- Connection to Place. We are very interested in performers and producers that have a connection with the local area as a current or previous resident and those adding to the local performance ecosystem. That does not mean that other performers will not be accepted.
- Development of artists. We have a focus on the development of skills and are keen to get a mix of artists from emerging onwards.
- Your future plans. It is important to us that you are planning beyond one festival. What are your plans beyond the festival for you, your organisation and/or the production you are proposing?
- $0 EOI
- $200 Registration Fee ($50 extra per festival)
- $0 ongoing fees
- If you provide your own venue then the box office split is 85/15 in your favour (no other fees to you)
- If you use an Anywhere Theatre Festival venue then it is a 70/30 split in your favour (no other fees to you).
What do you get for your money?
We estimate we provide an estimated $14,600 worth of services to each production in the festival. In 2014 the services and resources included:
- Festival program distributed to throughout each Council\’s networks
- Festival marketing through Council and festival partners
- Leverage festival marketing and public relations opportunities. See how much was generated in the 2013 Anywhere Theatre Festival Brisbane
- Limited number of festival productions to give you the best chance of finding an audience
- Brokering non traditional performance locations with no charge to you
- Central web site and Online Box Office where you can keep track of your ticket sales
- Specialist advice from Anywhere Theatre Festival experts
- Online group of producers and performers
- Our acclaimed producer pack with everything from a step by step guide to producing, media lists, venue contracts, marketing, risk management checklists
- Reviews and photographs by the Anywhere Reviewers and Anywhere Photographers
If you are thinking of other fringe festivals, we think you should give us a whirl instead – we provide rent free locations, performer workshops on risk, publicity, venue hunting and a far smaller number of productions so your show can be found in the programme and the media. We are very excited and want you to join us.
It’s like a fringe festival, but better.
To check out all our amazing partners, please click here.
The inaugural Anywhere Theatre Festival Frankston supported by Frankston City Council, Isaac Regional Council and Mackay Regional Council support 2015 Anywhere Festival Mackay Isaac, Parramatta City Council support Anywhere Festival Parramatta and Anywhere Festival Brisbane is supported by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, part of the Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts.